The Union of Workers in Transportation (BTS) organized a press conference and claiming the possible safety risks about soon-to-open Istanbul-Ankara high speed train. Here are headlines from the press release:
- Due to incomplete management/tracking system, different systems will be used between Ankara and Istanbul, Ankara-Karakoy (ERTMS), Karakoy-Bilecik (CTC), Bilecik-Alifuatpasa (ERTMS), Alifuatpasa-Kosekoy (CTC) and Kosekoy-Gebze (TMI). There’ll be no unique center for tracing during whole route, control of the train will be handovered 4 times on way.
- Signalling is not completed between Eskisehir-Alifuatpasa and Sapanca-Gebze. Thus, security systems of train sets will not run properly.
- Trains will run between Gebze-Pendik one single lane without any signalling systems which is dangerous and is also the cause of test train accident.
- High speed train will not be able use separated and secured special lanes but will use conventional line in some parts. Special lane is a must for high speed trains.
- The construction works for third lane next to high speed line between Izmit and Pendik will be dangerous for running trains.
- There’s an incline of 0,36% between Vezirhan and Kosekoy which is not appropriate for high speed trains.
- The line is not accredited by international independent organizations.
Click for the original press release (in Turkish).
Photo: Onur Uysal