The railway project connecting Izmir with its suburbs.
The project started with upgrading of existing line. There’s also a plan to build new railway between Aliağa-Bergama within extension plans.
Project owner: The joint venture company of TCDD and İzmir Metropolitan Municipality: IZBAN AS
- 111 km (current)
- 137 km (with Selcuk extension)
- 185 km (with Bergama extension)
- Aliağa-Cumaovası: 80 km. The existing line was electrified and signalized. The first section Izban service started.
- Cumaovası-Tepeköy: 30 km. The existing line was electrified and signalized. Izban service extende until Tepeköy.
- Tepeköy-Selçuk: 26 km. A second track will be added to the existing line, electrified and signalized.
- Aliağa-Bergama: 49 km. The new line going to be constructed for Çandarlı Port will be extended to Bergama for Izban.
Trains running on Izban network:
- Suburban trains: Izban trains run every 10 minutes in peak hours.
- Passenger trains: All main line and regional trains departing from Izmir use some sections of Izban network.
- Freight trains: Freight trains are using the Izban network in time periods Izban services are not affected.
|Urban Transport by Rail in Izmir|
Stations and connections:
- Egekent 2
- Ata Sanayi
- Mavişehir – Karşıyaka Tram (under construction)
- Alaybey – Karşıyaka Tram (under construction)
- Halkapınar – İzmir Metro and Konak Tram (under construction)
- Hilal – İzmir Metro
- Semt Garajı
- Adnan Menderes Airport
Distance between stations: Min 630 meter, max 12 km
- Aliağa-Cumaovası: 1:35 min
- Cumaovası-Tepeköy: 28 min
Frequency: Every 10 min (during peak hours)
- 2015: 87.5 mn/year
- Jan 2016: 300k/day
|Best Rail Solutions in Turkish Cities|
- 33 CAF sets (99 cars)
- 40 Hyundai Rotem sets (120 cars)
- 3 Mar 2006: Engineering works started
- 2007: İzban AŞ founded
- Mar 2008: CAF was awarded the tender for 33 sets
- 1 Jul 2010: Halkapınar-Cumaovası test runs started
- 30 Aug 2010: Halkapınar-Cumaovası commercial service started
- 5 Dec 2010: Çiğli-Cumaovası commercial service started
- 30 Jan 2011: Aliağa-Cumaovası commercial service started
- 6 Mar 2011: Opening ceremony
- 14 Mar 2011: Tepeköy extension project inked
- 7 Oct 2011: Tepeköy extension works started
- Mar 2012: Hyundai Rotem was awarded the tender for 40 sets
- May 2013: UITP best cooperation award
- 4 Aug 2013: Hilal Station opened as interchange station to İzmir Metro
- 6 Feb 2016: Tepeköy extension (30 km) commissioned
Cover Photo: Onur Uysal ©