The scope, route, stops, targets and history of Halkali-Kapikule high speed line which will connect Turkey to Europe:
- Owner: Ministry of Transport
- Cerkezkoy-Kapikule: Will be done with EU funds
- Halkali-Cerkezkoy: Will be done by Ministry of Transport
- Contractor: Gulermak-Alsim Alarko (Cerkezkoy-Kapikule phase)
- Contract date: 11/2018
- Contract duration: 1260 days
- Contract deadline: 4/2022
- Contract value: TL 3.2 bn
Halkali (Interchange to Ankara and Konya HSTs)- Ispartakule – Catalca – Cerkezköy – Buyukkaristiran – Luleburgaz – Babaeski – Havsa – Edirne – Kapikule
The double track high speed line to be used by passenger trains running between Istanbul and Europe with a speed of 200 km/h, following different route than current railway but using same stations at Halkali, Cerkezkoy, Edirne and Kapikule:
- Line length: 229 km
- Travel time: 95 min
- High speed trans will run between Turkey and Europe.
- Some of the tourism traffic between Edirne and Istanbul (3 mn people annually) will shift to rail.
- Some of the passengers crossing Kapikule (2.5 mn annuallay) will shift to trains.
E68000 locos and TCDD coaches
Cover photo: Onur Uysal ©
Categories: Railway Infrastructure