If you gonna travel within Turkey, most probably you’ll focus on one or both of the two solutions. Either a very fast one by plane, or by bus which can take you almost to anywhere in Turkey.
Up-to-date timetables and other details of all trains in Turkey is now at Rail Turkey Travel.
However, millions of people in Turkey had preferred a third one. In 2012, almost 20 million of people traveled by train in Turkey. That number was 26 million in 2011, some of which had been lost due to closures.
Although the share is 2% among all domestic modes, the big investment in high speed lines may increase this figure in near future.
On the other hand, even the current services are ready to take you to almost anywhere in Turkey with rail connection. Some are really slow, and some can be accepted as “shabby”. But all are ready to offer you a travel fun. You will enjoy the view otherwise impossible to see, can sit in wide seats without looking for an emergency exit, even can sleep on bed in some, eat at a restaurant in some others, and talk for hours with your friends face to face.
Here below are the passenger trains of Turkey:
Trains to/from Adana
- Adana-Elazig (Daily)
- Adana-Kayseri (Daily)
- Adana-Konya (2/day, compartment and dining wagon)
- Adana-Mersin (29/day)
Trains to/from Ankara
- Ankara-Adana (Daily, couchette, sleeper and dining)
- Ankara-Diyarbakır (6/day, compartment, couchette and sleeper)
- Ankara-Eskisehir (10/day, high speed train)
- Ankara-Izmir (Daily, sleeper and dining)
- Ankara-Kars (Daily, compartment, couchette, sleeper and dining)
- Ankara-Kirikkale (Daily)
- Ankara-Konya (8/day, high speed train)
- Ankara-Malatya (Daily, couchette and dining)
- Ankara-Polatli (3/day)
- Ankara-Tatvan (2/week, compartment, couchette and sleeper)
Trains to/from Izmir
- Izmir-Usak (4/day)
- Izmir-Balikesir (2/day, couchette and dining)
- Izmir-Bandirma (2/day)
- Izmir-Denizli (10/day)
- Izmir-Konya (2/day, couchette, sleeper and dining)
- Izmir-Odemis (11/day)
- Diyarbakir-Batman (Daily)
- Elazig-Tatvan (Daily)
- Eskisehir-Konya (2/day, high speed train)
- Eskisehir-Afyon (3/day)
- Havza-Amasya (2/day)
- Konya-Karaman (4/day)
- Mersin-Islahiye (Daily)
- Mersin-Iskenderun (Daily)
- Samsun-Sivas (Daily)
- Sivas-Erzincan (Daily)
Cover Photo: Onur Uysal ©