Encountering massive (and sometimes unfair) competition of trucks especially in Turkey, Railway Authority of Turkey is willing to encourage operators for efficiency by some regulations:
- The technical structure and capacity of railway infrastructure will be transparent to everyone in internet. Access to information will be easy and guaranteed.
- Railway access fees can be arranged to support efficiency of train operators. Currently same price is applied equally to all regular/irregular, long-term/short-term transports.
- All infrastructure services will be charged separately. Although there’s a fear that costs will increase, if applied correctly, efficient usage of infrastructure will provide save in costs.
- Usage of intensive lines may be regulated by surcharges where low-used lines may be encouraged by discounts.
- Discounts will be applied for high to-km transports. Railway may gain new projects with high volume in long distances.
- Discounts for new technologies which give less harm to infrastructure. This will encourage usage of new technologies.
- Penalties for operators causing delays in network. Trains will be forced to follow timetables.
- Compensation for loses due to delays. Forwarders/operators may charge their liabilities to clients.
- Rewards for operators with high-performance.
- Railway access fee projections for 5 years in network manifestos and long-term contracts will enable long-term plans about railway transportation.
- Demand over capacity must be answered with capacity analyze report and precautions in 6 months by infrastructure operator.
- All closures due to maintenance and repair works on infrastructure must be announced in advance in network manifesto. Thus, all train operators will know all planned works 16 months before.
- Train operators have the right to claim for loses due to regulations of infrastructure operators. Railway Authority has to finalize each in 6 weeks.
Cover Photo: Hoo_Nose_68 ©