The first phase of Uskudar-Umraniye-Cekmekoy metro will be commissioned today.
There’ll be an opening ceremony today at Uskudar. This metro, which started in 2012, will be the second metro line in Asian side of Istanbul. The line is named as M5.
Metro is connected to Marmaray at Uskudar and to Metrobus at Altunizade. In following years, there’ll be connection to Goztepe-Umraniye, Bostanci-Dudullu and Cekmekoy-Sultanbeyli metro lines, all of which are under construction by now.
There are many “first”s in Turkey about this metro line:
- First driverless automated metro of Turkey
- The most frequent departures among Turkish metros (every 1.5 minutes)
- The longest car sets of Turkey (6 cars, 129 meters)
- The car sets with biggest capacity (1622 passengers)
- The first platform screen doors in Turkey
21 Mitsubishi sets each having 6 cars will run on this line. The sets, produced in Spain, have 15% local production, as stated. The air conditioners of sets were completely produced in Turkey.
The second phase, Yamanevler-Cekmekoy, is expected to be commissioned in mid-2018.
Cover Photo: Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality ©