Istanbul Metropolitan Mayor Mr Topbas gave details of soon-to-start urban rail construction works in Istanbul.
In addition to 4 lines of stanbul Metropolitan Municipality (IBB) and 3 lines of Transport Ministry, construction works will start on 13 new lines until the end of 2016.
The lines which are currently under construction or will start until the end of 2016 are as follows:
Lines Under Construction
1. Uskudar-Umraniye-Cekmekoy-Sancaktepe Metro : 20 km. Construction works started in 2012. Planned to be completed in 2016. Official Website
2. Kartal-Kaynarca Metro : 4 km. Construction works started in 2013. Extension of Kadikoy-Kartal metro line. Planned to be completed in 2016. Official Website
3. Mecidiyekoy-Mahmutbey Metro : 18 km. Construction works started in 2014. Planned to be completed in 2017. Officiales Website
4. Kabatas-Mecidiyekoy Metro :5 km. Construction works started in 2015. Planned to be completed in 2019.
5. Marmaray :7 km. 13.6 of 76.3 km is opened. Suburban lines are going to be completed. Construction works have stopped. Official Website
6. Kaynarca-Sabiha Gokcen Metro :4 km. Will be connected to Kadıkoy-Kaynarca metro. Construction works started in August 2015.
7. Bakırkoy (IDO)-Bagcilar (Kirazli) Metro : 9 km. Construction works started in 2015. Planned to be completed in 2018.
Announced to Start in 2015
8. Atakoy-Ikitelli Metro : 13 km. Tender and contract process have been completed. Construction works will start this month (Nov 2015). Completion is planned as 2019.
9. Bostanci-Dudullu Metro :3 km. Tender and contract process have been completed. Construction works will start this month (Nov 2015). Completion is planned as 2019.
Announced to Start in 2016
10. Goztepe-Atasehir-Umraniye Metro : 13 km. Completion is planned as after 2019.
11. Cekmekoy-Sultanbeyli Metro : 9 km. Completion is planned as 2019.
12. Cekmekoy-Tasdelen-Yenidogan Metro : 7 km. Completion is planned as 2019.
13. Kaynarca-Tuzla Metro : 8 km. Completion is planned as 2019.
14. Pendik -Kaynarca Metro : 2 km. Completion is planned as 2019.
15. Bagcilar (Kirazli)-Halkali Metro : 7 km. Completion is planned as 2019..
16. Basaksehir-Kayasehir Metro : 7 km. Completion is planned as 2018.
17. Mahmutbey-Bahcesehir Metro : 8 km. Completion is planned as 2019.
18. Eminonu-Alibeykoy Tram : 12 km. Completion is planned as after 2019.
19. Yenikapi-Incirli Metro : 7 km. Extension of Bakirkoy-Beylikduzu Metro to Yenikapi. Completion is planned as 2018.
20. Incirli-Sefakoy Metro : 2 km. First phase of 25-km-long Incirli-Beylikduzu metro.
By the end of 2016, the lines under construction will reach to 200 km. The unit construction cost in Istanbul metros is TL 100mn/km. Most of these lines are planned to be completed by 2019. These mean that Istanbul will need TL 20 bn for metro lines within next 4 years.
Cover Photo: Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality ©
Categories: Urban Transport
That’s not really clear. Is Yenikapı-İncirli going to extend M2 or the Beylikdüzü line in the end ?
The 2 Sultanbeyli / Yenidoğan lines are going to be 2 branches of M5 ?
And how about this Kafkaian situation around Kaynarca :
Since municipality released maps showing Kartal-Kaynarca-Havalimanı as an extension of M4, it seemed clear that it would simply replace the eventual metro line between Pendik and airport. Yet, Mr: Topbaş announced the work on this Pendik Kaynarca line to start next year. What does it mean? How is it going to be integrated with the metro network? Is it going to be a 2 stations short connexion or a real metro line?
I presume that Kaynarca-Tuzla and Kaynarca-havalimanı are going to be 2 branches of M4?
Thanks for your answer.
Well, none of the questions about being branch/extension/connection, is clear in the announcements. Kartal-Kaynarca will surely be an extension, it’s seen on rail cars, but for rest I think we have to wait..
Hi, i think this page is a little bit obsolete.
Kartal – Kayncarca have been completed in 2016 and the Kaynarca was renamed to be Tavsantepe, the Uskudar-Cekmekoy still under construction and will be opened in late summer.
Could you update it???
this is a news published in 2015, naturally it’s not up-to-date. see project details of Kadikoy-Pendik metro at https://tr.railturkey.org/2016/10/15/kadikoy-kartal-tavsantepe-metrosu-m4/
Hi Onur,As tunnel supervisor and TBM operator with around 12 years experience I am looking for new job in Istanbul.how can I contact to contractors there?
Hi Mehdi. Many metro projects are written at Rail Turkey with many details including the contractor names. You can send email or call them. You can also register at Rail Turkey’s “railway professionals database”. Good luck.
I am working for Turkish Airlines and wondering, will the train/subway to the airport be ready when it opens?
Do you have a map or something that shows where the new metrostations will be?
I might have to relocate and find something convenient and close to a metrostation.
Prabably you mean the new airport. I don’t think it’ll be ready. When ready, Mecidiyekoy and Gokturk will be the best places to access new airport directly by one metro.
Merhaba Onur, tessekür ederim! But will those places be where the line to the new airport will be built? Is the one to Halkali also going to be extended to the new airport or?
Yes they are on the line.. And yes Halkali will be extended in the future..