Preparations for liberalization of railway transportation have speeded up while the target date, 21st of June, has just passed.
Here are the steps taken and things left:
New status declared
New status of TCDD as infrastructure operator is officially declared on 4th of June.
TCDD Tasimacilik AS founded
TCDD’s subsidiary, the new train operator of Turkey, TCDD Tasimacilik AS, is officially registered on 17th of June.
Legislation ready for approval
The most critical legislation, license of train operators, is ready and waiting for the approval of Prime Minister.
Top management assigned
TCDD’s General Manager is Isa Apaydin and TCDD Tasimacilik AS’s General Manager is Veysi Kurt. Next step is assistant to general manager positions where TCDD has five and TCDD Tasimacilik AS has three.
Staff not distributed to two organizations yet
The hardest step of liberalization seems splitting of TCDD staff for two companies. Some are already determined:
- Staff in freight, passenger and traction departments will work in TCDD Tasimacilik AS.
- Loco drivers will work in TCDD Tasimacilik AS.
- Ticket clerks will work in TCDD Tasimacilik AS where other clerks will stay in TCDD.
- Some of train chiefs, ticket inspectors and train formation staff will stay in TCDD and others will start working in TCDD Tasimacilik AS.
- About one third of other staff will be transferred to TCDD Tasimacilik AS.
Properties and rolling stock to be distributed
The properties and rolling stock that TCDD Tasimacilik AS will use have to be determined. TCDD will lease the properties that TCDD Tasimacilik AS needs for free for 10 years. All rolling stock except the ones TCDD needs will be given to TCDD Tasimacilik AS.
Responsibilities not determined yet
TCDD, the infrastructure operator, has to be reorganized for publishing network manifest, determining train slots, communication with train operators.
Cover Photo: Onur Uysal ©